The End of Something

I finished my first novel three years ago, just about this time of year. I think I wrote an email to my writing friends at 2 am with big capital letters, exclaiming that I'd FINISHED. I was DONE.

Three years later, I'm a little more hesitant to use those words.

After fits and starts of editing, querying, morose hopelessness, and coffee-fueled determination, I'm tempted to say I am finished once more. I have reached a point in my editing where I am satisfied that it is ready for the world. I can't help feeling that it never should have taken this long... but life doesn't really work that way. We just have to make peace with wasted time, which means accepting that it wasn't really wasted, it was just an unforeseen path of growth. This is how I sleep at night.

Even now, saying I'm finished doesn't seem quite accurate, because there will be more work to do, a sequel to write, then the three-quel. But that will come later. Right now I'm going to breathe and be relieved and write in big capital letters that I've reached this next stage of being DONE.

Children of Guerra will be arriving into Kindle-space within the next week, and while I feel a little like this:



I couldn't be more happy and terrified to Let It Go.



(Art courtesy of tophats96 on deviantART) Because you all needed one more reason to get that song stuck in your head again.

Comments

Popular Posts