The End of Something

I'm happy and proud (and also a little deflated somehow) to announce that I've finished the first draft of the COG sequel. I typed the words "End of Book 2" last Sunday, and immediately felt like doing a little dance in the corner of the cafe where I was writing. It's such a momentous thing for half a second, and then you realize there's still work to be done. There's editing and second-guessing and waiting for your trusted reader to finish and why can't she hurry up and get to the end and tell me what she thinks??? Then there's layout and cover design and marketing and whew... I start to understand the benefit of working with a traditional publisher.

However...

All of that is kind of just background noise. I have this growing feeling of unease at being 2/3 of the way done with this series. In another year (hopefully) I'll be finishing up the third book, and then this series, which is my baby and the only thing I've truly thrown my heart into for the past six years of my life, will be over.

I had this moment of panic in the shower yesterday (where the best moments of panic always occur) when I wondered what would happen if I never had another story idea in my life. Writing is one of the few loves of my life, and what if this is all I've got to give to it?

It's a ridiculous fear of course, because I already have another story started that in no way relates to this series or its universe. But then, beyond that, I've got nothing. I suppose I just have to have faith that when the time comes, there will be another story and another first page that leads to another 400 pages and another person telling me my books are too long. Let's hope.

In the coming weeks I'll be posting teasers from the book while I work through the editing process. My expected release date is sometime in early July, but, as with all things in my life, I might be a little late :)

Comments

Popular Posts